If you are seeing software reporter tool in google chrome and wondering why chrome using 100 % disk. Or if a message pops up telling you “Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool has stopped working.” Then you might want to know about how to disable Software reporter tool or remove it.
If that’s the case then rest assure as we will explain, what is the software Reporter tool? How do I disable Google software Reporter tool?
What is Software Reporter Tool?
When users see software reporter tool on windows 10, they think that it’s a unwanted software. If you are one of then then you are wrong.
The Google Chrome Software reporter tool is a legal process which monitors chrome browser. Each time, you install any software on your PC, this software reporter tool reports the same to the chrome. The purpose behind is to stop all those software which interferes with the normal functioning of chrome browser.
When this google reporter tool scan your PC and found any add-ons which conflict with it. It open Chrome cleanup tool to remove all those apps or add-ons. It a executable file named Software_reporter_tool.exe.
Related: Google Chrome Download
Google Chrome users face two main problems with Software Reporter Tool:
- During the scan, software reporter tool cause high CPU load on the system. The reason is that its scanning process run for at least 20 minutes. That is something which interfere with other activity on the computer.
- Since this reporter tool informs Google about the scanning results many users dislike it because of privacy concerns.
Where To Find Software Reporter Tool on Windows 10/7 PC
You can locate software_reporter_tool.exe file within chrome users data folder. On Windows 10 and Windows 7 the path is same;
How To Disable Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool?
In order to block chrome software reporter tool, go to the above mentioned path;
It is very easy to remove uninstall or delete the content of entire folder. You can click shift+ Del key to remove whole folder but that a temporary solution. Because when chrome updates itself this google chrome cleanup tool also comes back in.
So to permanently disable chrome reporter tool you need to remove permissions so that no user has access to the folder. Follow these steps to disable reporter tool;
- Right-click on the folder SwReporter and select Properties from the menu.
- In the Properties dialog box click on the Security tab.
- Then click on select Advanced buttons and choose “Disable inheritance” option.
- Now click on the option “Remove all inherited permissions from this object” in the Block Inheritance window.
- When you confirm, the action will remove all inherited permissions from this object.
- Finally, select Apply and then OK button.
Once you done with it no further chrome update will activate this tool. This method also solves users question who asks “Can I delete Software_reporter_tool EXE?”
Is Chrome Reporter Tool Safe to use?
The google has digitally signed this tool. To check simply place the cursor on the .exe file. So this tool is completely safe. This tool doesn’t connect with the internet, its only purpose is to report google chrome about any unwanted software.
This reporter tool doesn’t infringe uses privacy. On the other hand if you removed chrome reporter tool from your PC. The threat of unwanted apps increases. You may use third party anti malware or anti virus tool like malwarebytes or avast.
This is how we solve this issue and fixed high CPU usage caused by chrome software reporter tool. If the above solution helped you then post a comment.