Why Modern Setup Host eating up high CPU usage? How To Fix It?
Are you seeing a process called Modern Setup Host in Task Manager? Is Modern Setup Host eating up high CPU usage or disk usage? Is the error saying that Modern Setup Host has stopped working? If that’s the case, then you are in safer hand. As we are going to explain some troubleshooting steps for you to fix Modern Setup Host. This post has all you need to know about,
- What is Modern Setup Host in Task manager?
- How Do i Fix Modern Setup Host in Windows 10?
- Why Modern Setup Host consumes high CPU or Disk Usage?
What is Modern Setup Host in Windows 10?
The Modern Setup Host(SetupHost.exe) is an executable file which is self-extracting archive and installer. You can locate modernsetuphost in C:$Windows.BTSources folder, only if your system has cleaned installed Windows 10. Those who have upgraded windows 7 to Win 10 can find it in Windows.old folder.
You will only see moderns setup host in Windows 10 if you have Windows beta version that is Windows Technical Preview. When your system installs Windows update, the modern setup host runs automatically. This setuphost.exe also run setup files for upgrading to Windows 10.
In a nutshell, this Task manager process is mainly associated with Windows update. When any error occurs during Win update this process goes rouge and causes your PC slow. That’s why a users on Reddit was complaining like this;
So today Windows silently, randomly decided that I wasn’t going to be able to work on the computer for awhile as it launched Modern Setup Host at 100% disk Usage and started doing. whatever it’s doing. Is it safe to kill this process? I have work to do here.
You will find many users on tech forum complaining about that;
- Modern Setup Host causing high CPU usage or Memory usage
- Modern Setup Host has stopped working
Either way, here you will get a solution. Apply combination of below mentioned troubleshooting steps.
How To Fix Modern Setup Host Causing High CPU Usage?
Follow any of these fixes.
Fix 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
One of the easiest way to fix modern setup host is by running Windows update troubleshooter. In Windows 10 this is a built-in tool whereas in Windows 7 or 8 you need to download troubleshooter from Microsoft site.
Windows 10 Users follow these steps:
1. Press Windows logo key or click on search box.
2. Type troubleshoot in the search box, then click on it to run
3. On next windows click on Windows Update, then on Run the troubleshooter. This will automatically start Windows Update troubleshooter.
4. When it finishes see if the troubleshooter detect any problem, fix it. Otherwise if this tool doesn’t detect any issue then apply other fixes.
Windows 7 and Windows 8 users follow these steps:
- Visit Microsoft website and download the troubleshooter.
- Once the downloaded completes, double-click on the executable file to run it.
- Choose Windows Update, then click Next.
- Now, the Windows Update troubleshooter will detect and fix all the issues.
If it doesn’t fix setuphost.exe problem then move on to next on.
Fix 2: Use DISM Tool To scan Corrupted Files
Sudden shutdown during Windows update create corrupted files. These files also cause high CPU usage and high memory usage. But don’t worry Microsoft has command line tool to fix Windows 10. DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management ) is a built in tool.
Follow these Steps to execute DISM tool:
- Click on the Search icon visible in the taskbar
- Type “cmd” without quotes.
- Run Command Prompt as an Administrator, for that right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- Once Command Prompt windows appears , type following commands one by one and hit enter:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
When you enter these command the scanning process will start. So be patient because it takes several minute. Once the scan complete update Windows and if problem still persist move to next fix.
Fix 3: Perform Clean Boot
If you are still seeing modern setup host not responding error then you need to perform clean boot. Sometimes there are certain background programs that interfere during Windows update. Running Clean boot in Windows allows system to run only those programs that are needed to perform basic tasks.
To Perform clean boot in Windows 10 follow these steps:
1. Open Run dialog box for that press Windows Key+R.
2. Now type msconfig and click OK.
3. Once new window appears, click on General tab and deselect Load Startup Items.
4. Then go to Services tab and tick on ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ appearing at the bottom of the window.
5. Click the Disable All button.
6. Then head towards Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
7. When Task Manager is open, click on Startup tab. Disable all startup items which are showing Enabled status.
8. Close Task Manager, go back to the System Configuration window and click OK
9. Now restart your PC.
Once the system reboot, try installing Windows update. This will surely solve modern setup host and your PC will consumes nominal CPU usage. In the unlikely event head toward next fix.
Fix 4: Check System Language of your System
The problem of “modern setup host” also occurs when your system language isn’t set as default system UI language. So be sure to set the default system language, same as the installed language of your system.
How to check Default System UI Language
- Press Windows Key+S on your keyboard.
- Now, you need to type “cmd” without quotes.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Inside Command Prompt, type “ dism /online /get-intll” (no quotes), then press Enter. You will now be able to see your default system UI language.
Now you need to check your system language and see if it the same. To check system language Windows 10 & 7 has different steps.
Windows 10 Users follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key+I on your keyboard.
- Select Time & Language.
- On the left-pane menu, click Region & Language.
- Look at the right pane and check if the language is the same as your default system UI language.
- If the language is set to a different option, change it accordingly. After doing that, try installing the updates again and check if the Modern Setup Host issue is gone. On the other hand, if the language already matches your default system UI language, you can move on to next fix.
Windows 7 users follow these steps:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- Type “control” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Make sure that the View By option is set to Large Icons.
- Select Region and Language.
- Check if the language matches your default system UI language. If not, modify it accordingly. However, if it is already set to the correct language option, you can try the next solution.
Fix 5: Delete All Items in Software Distribution Folder
In Windows 10 there is software distribution folder. It stores all unnecessary or temporary file which are sometimes essential for Windows Update. This folder also cause modern setup host error. To fix this problem you need to delete all temporary files in it.
Follow These Steps to Delete Software Distribution Folder;
- Open Run dialog box, for that press Windows Key+R keys.
- Paste this path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then click OK.
- Pressing Ctrl+A to select all items and Delete them.
- If Folder Access Denied message pops up, select ‘Do this for all current items’ option, then click Continue.
- Now restart your PC.
This should resolve modern setup host problem. If not then there is only one solution.
Fix 6: Disable Windows Update on your PC
You can solve modern setup host not working issue, if you disable update option. Only adopt this solution if you never have a plan to upgrade windows or update Windows.
Follow these Steps to Disable Windows Update;
1. Open Run dialog box by pressing Windows Key+R key and type services.msc, then press Enter.
2. Services window will appear, look for Windows Update, then right-click it and select Properties
3. Go to the General tab, then ensure that the Startup type option is set to Disabled.
4. Click the Stop button.
5. Click the Recovery tab, and set the First Failure option to Take No Action.
Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
The modern setup host problem will vanish if you try these solutions. But if you have any other method to solve modern setup host (setuphost exe), then tells us via comment. Hope you like this guide.